THE GLORY OF SRI ARUNACHALA
Translation from Tamil to English : Vasundhara
1. Arunachala is the greatest place of all holy places! It is more glorious than all other holy places! Know that it is the Heart Center of the earth. It is also the Heart Center of Eeswara, the Lord Himself. It is a holy place filled with secrets. In that holy place, the Self abides as the resplendent shining hill called Arunachala!
2. Know that the sacred day on which this ancient Arunachala appeared as the resplendent Linga is Thiruvathirai in the Tamil month of Margali (மார்கழி Dec-Jan). And the day on which Lord Siva appeared as the resplendent form, the day on which the Devas such as Vishnu, Brahma and so on, praised and worshipped Lord Siva, is the midnight of Sivaratri in the Tamil month of Masi (மாசி Feb-Mar).
3. Even though I have risen as the form of fire in the holy place of Arunachala, hiding that, I appear and shine as a peaceful mountain in order to protect the whole world through My Grace. I also abide on this mountain in the form of a Siddha (an accomplished one) as Arunagiri Yogi. Within me in the form of this moutain, there is a wonderful cave where all sorts of prosperities exist and shine forever. Know this.
4. As many worlds there are, they are all bondage alone. The terrible actions that are capable of giving the misery of birth and death, are the reason for bondage. The One whose mere sight and presence will destroy and eliminate all the terrible actions which are the resting place of bondage, that is the Arunachala who shines as brilliant light.
5. The rare, valuable true Knowledge, the Knowledge of the Self, that cannot be acquired without great pains and efforts by practicing the four kinds of spiritual practices, can be attained by any one, who either beholds Arunachala by the physical eyes being in its vicinity, or even mentally contemplates on It from afar.
6. Those who reside within 24 miles of this region* that is around the holy place of Arunachala, even though they did not get any tradional initiations, they will obtain the state of union with the Supreme Self that is bereft of attachments. I, the Lord, ordain so.
7. This holy place of Arunachala is the abode of pious devotees and those who have not failed from living a righteous life. Those wicked people here who intend to do evil to others, will suffer long from terrible diseases and will be destroyed. In this holy place, all the demonic strengths will lose their potencies. Therefore, don’t fall into the scorching fire of indignation of Arunachala who is the form of fire, and be destroyed.
* It is also indicated in the stanza below quoted by Ramana Maharshi, and in the Verse 5 above, that mere thinking of Arunachala will confer Knowledge of the Self.
“Darsanad Abhrasadasi jananat Kamalalaye, Kasyantu maranam muktih smaranad Arunachale.”
“To see Chidambaram, to be born in Tiruvarur, to die in Benares, or merely to think of Arunachala, is to be assured of Liberation.”